Thursday, December 21, 2006

I'd hate to be working in mail order delivery right now

I ordered two CDs from Overstock. Specifically The Mars Volta and God Dethroned.

Anyway, when they sent me the shipping confirmation they sent me a bad tracking number. I thought it was anyway. They sent me what they said was a USPS tracking number. Turned out to be UPS. Poor bastards must be working at a breakneck speed trying to get so much information logged in that they're making easy mistakes left and right.

So it was cool that they got those CDs in so fast. I wasn't expecting them tonight at all. I was ironing my work shirts when the UPS guy rang the doorbell. At 9:00PM. No shit. Gotta hand it to those guys for working such bastard hours. Looking at my tracking history (now that I know which company delivered it) they got it down to the minute. Looks like they almost delivered Tuesday night but either missed me or got fed up and went home to bed. It's all good.

But really, ya gotta love UPS. Their tracking system is the shit. USPS doesn't do a friggin thing. They don't even have to scan packages. UPS details everything short of the driver having to stop to pinch one off. Really, check this out.

HARLINGEN,
TX, US 12/20/2006 8:59 P.M. DELIVERY


HARLINGEN,
TX, US 12/19/2006 10:38 P.M. THE PACKAGE WAS MISSED AT THE DESTINATION LOCATION AND IS DELAYED;PACKAGE WILL BE DELIVERED NEXT BUSINESS DAY-NO SATURDAY GUARANTEE
12/19/2006 2:21 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
12/19/2006 2:00 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN


SAN ANTONIO,
TX, US 12/18/2006 5:24 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/18/2006 3:58 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN


MESQUITE,
TX, US 12/18/2006 11:17 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN


MESQUITE,
TX, US 12/16/2006 1:26 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN


SAN PABLO,
CA, US 12/14/2006 4:02 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/14/2006 2:49 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN



SPARKS,
NV, US 12/13/2006 10:31 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/13/2006 8:38 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN


US 12/13/2006 2:48 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED


With USPS I'll see something that says "We have been notified by shipper blah blah blah" until it shows up at my door. At most I'll find out that a package will ship from, say, Des Moines in Iowa (where Rightstuf is located), reach Dallas and then, a day or two later, me. And that's it. That's all. Not much of a tracking system. Not to say USPS doesn't do a pretty good job overall, I generally know how fast they are, but they could stand to make some improvements. The first step to that being privatization but that's another discussion altogether.

Regardless, I gotta take off my proverbial hat for the guys in these jobs cause right now they're all busting ass just to get stuff to all of our ungrateful asses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home