Thursday, September 14, 2006

Lady in the Water

So I saw Lady in the Water at the ghetto theater this past Monday. It cost $1.50 for the ticket. I like paying such low prices, especially now that the turnover rate from first release to bargain seating is so much faster now. Superman Returns is gonna be there soon, I think I may have to see it again.

Anyway, Lady in the Water. This movie got a lot of shit for reasons unexplainable. Personally, I think it's cause Shyamalan is just that good. His movies are always quality shit (though to be honest I never saw The Village which also took shit from critics). In short it's a fairy tale. It's a nice fairy tale too. Dude finds a hot chick in his pool. Turns out this hot chick is waiting to be sent back to her people, a race of sea-dwelling...dwellers. She's got a problem cause she can't stay out on land long enough to be picked up by some giant eagle cause she's being hunted by a very very ugly dog-like creature. Paul Giamatti's role is to help her be taken back to her people so she can take an important role among them.

Now there were minor quibbles with the film that I had but nothing majaor. It's not better then the Sixth Sense or Unbreakable but that's it. Also Shyamalan seems to be giving himself bigger roles in his films. Mostly I enjoyed the characters that roamed around this apartment complex. The Vietnamese girl and her mother, the guy only exercising one half of his body, the stoner rock band...all that. Kinda reminds me of the some of the idiots I encounter the hotel from time to time. I like the way Shyamalan just lets the characters interact at a slower pace and letting the camera linger. Things like that. It kinda makes the movie drag a little but it's not a problem for me. It's always pleasant to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home