Sunday, December 03, 2006

Slayer - Christ Illusion

Okay, I'm like this close to delcaring this one my album of the year. I have not heard Slayer sound this good in a long time and right now it's getting a lot of play in my stereo. This is definitaly Slayer's best since Seasons in the Abyss (one of my alltime favorite albums). It's not quite up there with Seasons but Illusion is absolutely gonna go down as a classic. Divine Intervention and Diabolus In Musica were okay but they don't warrant much attention. I pretty much passed over God Hates Us All. I'm very glad I picked up this one though. Bringing Dave Lombardo back into the fold has helped immensely. Tracks like Skeleton Christ thunder along beautifully with Lombardo's presence. The lyrics are hamfisted at times, particulary on Cult, but hey it's Slayer. They can sing about taking a shit and they would still be one of the craziest bands on the planet.

Now to be honest, you can't really say a whole helluva lot about Slayer. Once you've heard Reign in Blood, South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss you know exactly what to expect. Really, this one is all about that heavy metal thunder. The songs are exactly what you would want out of a metal album. You can bang your head to this one all day long really and the songs are quite memorable. This CD stands as a lesson in how to kick ass after 25 years in the game and it should be heeded well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home