Saturday, October 28, 2006

Really came pissing down today

And now my lawn needs cutting. Again.

Goddammit!

Okay, well, it's not so thick yet that it would take me ten hours. I think I can do it in a reasonable amount of time. I really need to. However, I really want to go to the movies Saturday night. I wanna see The Prestige. Must see The Prestige. And eventually Catch A Fire. There's quite a few movies I want to see, but I have a hard time finding the time. Ah well. Well, actualkly, Catch A Fire is only about 90 minutes long and I could get out with plenty of time left. The Presitige is two hours. Still, the start time is early enough either way. I will see them both!

Except I gotta rule out Friday nights. I'm not missing Doctor Who for nothin!

Well, I'll decide later. Anyway, I got a couple of DVDs in the mail today. The two from Rightstuf, Case Closed: The Movie and Midori Days. Sweet, can't wait to watch them. One small complaint. The Midori Days collection is three discs. Two of the discs are stacked partially on top of each other. What the hell is that? That's...stupid! (And you can see an example here.)One of the discs is so low against the case that it risks getting scratched. CDs and DVDs are raised against the case in order to prevent scratching and promote longevity. This kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I guess the manufacturers thought adding the little flip jobbie that they've been using on multi-disc collections was too expensive. BAH! Except now the cost is passed on to the consumer to replace discs that are worn out faster over time. Guess we can kiss thinpacking goodbye!

Anyway, back to the subject of Doctor Who, tonight's episode was the dogs bollocks (as they say).Part one of Rise of the Cybermen. It really had some great moments. I felt the "death" of the TARDIS could have felt heavier, but when the Doctor finds one last bit with some juice it was executed perfectly. "I just gave up ten years of my life and it was worth every second." Nicely done. We also see a lot of Tennant as the angry Doctor. Maybe not nearly as well done as Eccleston's Doctor but he does a pretty good job. Mickey constantly moaning about being taken for granted was a little tiresome, but then the scene where he sees his old, dead gradma? Wow, just wonderful. That guy really sold it well. Too bad he leaves the series after part two. Season 28 has, so far, really knocked 'em out of the ballpark.

And then Battlestar: Galactica. Ya know, I decided to start following this show cause everybody loves it. I'm still not sure why. To be sure, tonight's episode was pretty good. It involved a group of six, by order of the President, trying and executing Cylon collaborators. It addressed the last four episodes of the series and the Cylon occupation of New Caprica and what some people did to survive. Basically, it's a revenge episode. This group executing people after having a sham trial and, in some cases, realizing that maybe they weren't as guilty as the group thought. Maybe it's cause I don't know any of the characters and only have a vague idea of what's going on, but honestly I can't give two shits about any of the characters. They all come across as mindless savages. Edward James Olmos' Adama is the only character I have any remote interest in. The rest? I just get the impression they're all wandering around in a haze. Do any of these characters have any sort of focus? I can't tell. Maybe it's cause I've never actually watched any episodes before now, and it could very well be. This show clearly isn't open and accessible to new viewers, which quite frankly is damning in of itself. Perfect show for a Friday night on Sci-Fi, not for NBC proper (there was a brief rumor NBC would pick it up for prime-time network broadcast which was proved false). I don't know, maybe I'll still pick up a season set if I can find it cheap enough. Maybe not. My biggest complaint is the camera work. Sixty minutes of shaky cam. One of the reasons I liked tonight's episode better then the previous four was because the camera was mostly stable throughout the show. Seriously, 90% of the time during the first four I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be looking at. Shaky cam can be good sometimes, but for an entire series? That's a great way to lose viewers.

Okay, now I go back to work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home