Sunday, November 12, 2006

Wow, an actual evening out!

Cool, so Juan called me from Best Western Saturday morning. Told me about a little gathering of local metal bands at a place downtown. I told him it sounded good and I would consider it. I considered wisely.

It was pretty cool. I didn't realize Harlingen even had a metal scene big enough to put on even that kind of show. I got there and there was maybe a couple of dozen kids. Kids. The venue was a hole in the wall downtown and not a bar so they could actually show up. Over the course of the evening the crowd got thicker and the space got a little tighter. But it was pretty cool, some of these bands were pretty good. Give 'em a little time and practice and they could do something worthwhile.

I came in midway through the first band's set. I saw Juan but I barely recognized him. "Is that...maybe...was his hair always so long...was he always so huge?" Okay, so it was him. Sweet! The band, whose name I can't remember (God's Last Breath I think), was pretty cool. I thought the drummer had a lot of potential. The second band started God knows how long after that. It was interesting. Three piece with a singer, drummer, guitarist. The singer also tried to do some ambient stuff with a keyboard but unless the band wasn't playing you couldn't really hear it. Mostly he did it between songs but I appreciated the need to be at least a little more progressive. The next band after that I can't remember much, my mind was elsewhere for some reason. They did have a bassist I know. The last band I saw was pretty well organized. Better amps, more players, lots of energy. Even a keyboardist! Too bad you couldn't hear him. Still, great energy from the band and some of the audience. A few...moshers? I'm not even sure I would say they were moshing, more like slam dancing. But hey, it's cool.

Alas, after that I had to split. As we were walking back in to see the next band I asked a fellow for the time and it was 9:00 PM. Unfortunately for me that meant I had to vamoose. It takes me forever to get ready for work and I hadn't eaten yet. I pretty much woke up and went straight to the show. I was starving! Cigarettes can't replace food after all. All in all though it was worth seeing. A $6.00 dollar cover charge at the door and I caught a few local acts with potential. Not bad for an evening that would have otherwise been spent watching...live concerts! On DVD.

Thanks again, Juan! That was cool shit.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Juan said...

Hey, no problem, Robert. I left about 10 minutes after you did. I was starving, too. And I was tired from standing around for 5 hours.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home