Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nova #16 review



Green For Danger (A Secret Invasion story)

I'm not actually sure how many parts this story is. I thought this was going to be a one off issue until it was getting towards the end. Richard Rider, Nova, intercepts a distress call on a planet, answers, and is attacked by super Skrulls. He's having a hard time of it with Worldmind down, but ends up getting back up when the original Super Skrull shows up to back him up.

It's a cool issue, but not much to right home about until the ending. Watching Rider function without Worldmind is cool to see. He needs lots of breathing room since he has to manually interface with his back-up support system. Once given a little breathing room, he can tear shit up. I suppose that's what makes the ending a little more interesting. Without Worldmind, and with ass in the fryer, it's gonna be interesting to see what happens.

The real star of this issue is Kl'rt, the Super Skrull. Since Annihilation, he's become this really interesting character and not some cookie cutter Fantastic Four villain. I don't know how long this character has been around, but I don't think he's ever had any sort of depth, so lately he's been undergoing a sort of rebirth. We're seeing what motivates and drives the character more and how he views himself in the world. He describes himself as a sort of Ronin, which would be a really cool take on the character. But since it's a Secret Invasion tie-in, we get a very cool perspective of the Skrull invasion. Sort of an insider on the outside looking in kind of thing. I dig it. Kinda wish someone at Marvel would have done a Super Skrull Secret Invasion mini-series. I don't know how long this arc is running, though, I might essentially get my wish. Two, three issues? That would be cool.

It's a decent issue. I'm burning out on Secret Invasion though. If Marvel ends Secret Invasion with a mass genocide of the Skrulls, I would very happy. It's getting to be a bit much. But seeing as how guys like Abnett and Lanning are having so much fun with it, and so many writers are able to get some cool shit out of this event, I guess I can't complain too much. Still, it'll be nice when the books go back to business as usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home