Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wine

I woke up late yesterday so this morning I wasn't rired.  Put on some Big O and sat there with a glass of merlot that I opened...Thursday?  Pretty good.  But I was thinking, considering how long I've been messing with wine now I've learned three things.

1. Reds are better than whites.

2. The longer wine is exposed to oxygen the more it alters the taste.

3. It pretty much all tastes the same.

3.1 At least it does if you're drinking the cheap stuff from the grocery store.

So my preferences definitely lean towards the reds.  Whites are okay, but I don't have the patience to sit there and figure just how chilly they're supposed to get.  Warm is just as good I suppose, but it's not the same.  Reds are just nicer I think.  And it really does seem that a bottle needs to be drunk fairly quickly after opening.  Yeah, it's still pretty good a day later, but two, three, four days down the line and it just doesn't taste the same to me.  Maybe it's too much anticipation on my part?  Mostly mental?  I don't know.  And finally, small differences aside, it pretty much all tastes the same to me in the end.  It's probably cause I'm drinking this cheap stuff that's $6, $10 dollars a bottle.  Not high quality shit.  I'm sure the better quality stuff made to be stored for 20 years and opened underneath a full moon in winter while chanting over a buxom virgin sacrifice would really teach me something about good wine, but that shit is waaaay out of my price range.  I think I've quickly hit my limit.  I might buy a bottle every now and then, but with inflation the way it is and my grocery bill getting so out of hand I should probably just pack it in for now.

This, however, did not stop me from drinking the rest of that merlot and sleeping very soundly.  Brother, enough of that shit will knock me out wonderfully.  Very nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home