Sunday, May 04, 2008

DC Universe #0

Wait, wait...the narrative was being told from the point of view of Barry Allen??????

The fucking Flash?

The fucking Silver Age Flash?

The fucking SIlver Age Flash what died in Crisis on Infinite Earths?!?

Good thing that Johns and Morrison made that clear enough so that I didn't have to read this from the New York Times or the New York Daily News.

Oh...wait.

I don't know what to make of this.  I guess it really was Barry Allen and not Bart Allen that was brought back at the end of the JLA/JSA Lightning Saga crossover.  I hope this doesn't mean they're ditching Wally West.  Is this why they've gone out of their way to make Wally suck?

Honestly, I've never given two shits about Barry Allen.  Wally has been my Flash since I was nine years old.  Sure, a lot of old timers have a soft spot for Barry Allen, but what doesn't get around is that the latter Allen Flash stories, if not most of them, were all made of mountains of fail.  DC continuity has always been messy, but Barry Allen's own continuity has been particularly convoluted ending up at various times and living in the 30th century for a time.  Unless Barry comes back for the sole purpose of dying again, I'm just not sure about this.  I mean, sure, it's cool in a way, but only if it's for a limited purpose.  Secondly, if DC does consider the decision to bring back Barry, why?  It's well established that Wally was the faster speedster with a far more natural talent.  Barry Allen was fast, but not nearly as fast as Wally.  They might as make Jay Garrick the only Flash.

And why are they suddenly referring to Barry Allen the greatest hero of the DCU?  Look, I'm a huge Flash fan, but I wouldn't say any of them are the greatest heroes.  Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman...shit, the Martian Manhunter!  The Flash is bad ass, but running fast is a bit of a limited power to have.  He's not the strongest, he's not the smartest (though Barry Allen is a criminologist).....he's probably the most upstanding of all the other heroes but that's about the only thing I can think of.  Certainly, he is a major player and all but when I think of greatest heroes he's really not the first name that comes to mind.

I just don't get why the publishers are intent on forcing this Silver Age nonsense down the reader's throats.  Barry Allen had the greatest death of any hero.  Legendary.  It's probably the one moment anyone remembers about Barry Allen, why take it away?

But the story has barely started.  Grant Morrison is a great writer, so I want to see where he takes this.  Takes us.  It will certainly be worth talking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home